2017 Queensland Athletics State Championship
St Luke’s students achieved great results, with one bronze and another 4 Top 10 finishes at the Queensland Schools Athletics State Championships held at QAS Stadium in Brisbane from 12-15 October.
- Nicholas Newton won a bronze medal in the Javelin Boys 13 Years.
- Marianna Konopka – 4th in 400m and 6th in 800m Girls 14 Years.
- Hendré Kirchner – 6th in Javelin Boys 14 Years.
- Ellen Thomas – 9th in 3000m Girls 13-15 Years.
Other results from our athletes:
- Isabella Roberts – 12th in 800m and 19th in 400m Girls 15 Years.
- Ellen Thomas – 14th in 1500m Girls 14 Years.
- Connor Morrison – 17th in 800m Boys 17 Years.
- Jacob Marinelli – 22nd in 1500m Boys 13 Years.
- Charles Liebenberg – 25th in 3000m Boys 16 Years.
- Hendré Kirchner – 26th in 1500m Boys 14 Years.
The majority of these athletes achieved their personal best times and distances at the Championships.
Congratulations to everyone on your great performances.
Sports Awards Dinner 2017
Taryn Gollshewskyis the guest speaker at tonight’s Sports Awards Dinner for 2017.
Taryn Gollshewsky is one of Australia’s best female discus throwers. She has represented Australia in the sport of Athletics at World Youths, World Juniors, World University Games, Commonwealth Games and World Championships. But unlike most elite athletes, Taryn was born, raised and currently resides in Bundaberg. She is proof that small town kids can succeed on the international stage. Taryn’s current personal best in the discus throw is 60.62 metres. She has her sights firmly set on the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, for which she has already achieved the qualification standard 8 times.
Congratulations to the following students who have been selected in a Bundaberg, Wide Bay or Queensland School team. Students are recognised in the School newsletter for their selection when the School has received official notification from the coach/manager of the respective sporting team.
Mr Len Kirchner
Director of Co-Curricular Sport Activities